The raw beetroot is lovely and crunchy and combined with the tangy tahini dressing makes for a very moreish salad. Although using cooked beetroot in this type of salad is more common it doesn’t quite have the same impact and of course the texture would be significantly different.
400g of raw beetroot
40g of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
3 spring onions, chopped
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
10 tablespoons of boiling water
5 table spoons of tahini paste
1 tablespoon of good olive oil
1 small garlic glove
Pinch of sea salt
- First prepare the tahini dressing. Crush the garlic in a pestle and mortar with enough salt to absorb its juices. Scrape into a bowl.
- Add the tahini paste (make sure you stir the tahini in the jar as the oil settles on the top).
- Add the boiling water gradually and stir. The consistency should be of single cream.
- Add the juice of a lemon and set aside.
- Slice the raw beetroot very finely and place in a bowl with the rest of the beetroot salad ingredients.
- Stir in the tahini dressing.