Finally, it’s here the promise of good weather and a new season of food. After a long period of absence (a new-born baby will do that to anyone) I returned to Borough market early enough to be able to browse and stare at all the new season’s vegetables. This recipe is a salute to spring, a changing of the guards if you will and a fond farewell to all those earthy winter vegetables. But what to choose? All of them, well as many as I could carry while precariously balancing a cup of coffee and a parmesan and spinach muffin.
There isn’t much science behind this other than attempting a balance of bitter greens and sweet fresh spinach and leeks. Any combination will do I have listed what I used and liked. It’s unexpectedly filling with a salty and lemony flavour from the feta. The egg yolk is soft and creamy and is the perfect dressing.
I had this with Greek pita bread, not Cypriot, and I wish it was more easily available as it’s perfect for this sort of dish and in my view the best for dips. I managed to find some online (see suppliers link) at Odysea.
800g of vegetables (spinach, leeks, purslane, mustard leaves, spring greens, spring onions, kale)
100g of feta
100g of fresh herbs (mint, parsley, dill, coriander)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Small handful of wild garlic
2 Greek pita breads to serve
Salt and pepper to taste
Teaspoon of paprika
- Preheat the oven to the highest heat.
- Wash and pat dry all the greens
- Finely chop the leeks and spring onions and roughly chop everything else.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and then add the leeks and spring onions. Fry until soft.
- Add, to the frying pan, all the other greens, garlic and herbs. Stir for a couple of minutes and then remove any excess liquid. Season to taste.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish or two small ones.
- Crumble the feta on top and make two wells. Break the eggs and place one in each well.
- Place into the oven for ten minutes.
- Heat the pita bread by placing in a hot frying pan with no oil for a minute on each side.
- When the dish is removed from the oven sprinkle with paprika and serve with the pita